Tuesday, January 13, 2009

'Walking In A Winter Wonderland" A Cold Day For A Wedding


This is the only photo taken of my Massey Grandparents on their wedding day, Dec 31st 1939. The wedding was a small affair as it was the depression and they did not have a lot of money. My Grandfather was employed a delivery man for a bake shop at the time and my Grandmother was a bar maid in a local hotel. I don't know how much money they were making but I am sure it was not much.
They had only been married a few minutes when my Grandmothers father suggested that they should get a picture. And as cameras did not have a built in flash back in the days of yore, you had no choice but to go out side no mater how cold it was. And as it happened it was a typical freezing cold Canadian Winter day. My grandmother not having a coat on hand grabbed a old ratty sweater off the back of the door and out they went. I think the sweater actually belonged to my Great Grandfather.

So that is the story of my Grandparents only wedding photo. They may not have had a lot of money but the marriage lasted 50 years so I guess they had what matters.

3 comments:

Taylorstales-Genealogy said...

Thank you for posting a wonderful story about your grandparents. The picture is so worth a thousand wonderful words! Thanks for sharing.

Professor Dru said...

A good looking couple-love their outfits especially your grandpa's hat.

Brian said...

Thanks. I am glad you liked my post.